Looking very Americana in red, white, and blue! Here's another outfit inspired by my Spring/Summer 2012 project!
Pop question: didn't Jenny already sew a blue and white short sleeved tee this year? Yes! I blogged it here. I washed and wore it so much that it lost it's shape a bit and got a few of those teeny snag holes that knits get. So I retired it and made a new one. I wanted to switch up the style this time so I went for Sewaholic's Renfrew. I used a blue and white striped knit, this time from Mood Fabrics. I spent $12 for the fabric. I love the weight and texture of the fabric. My only gripe is that the stripes were printed a bit off grain so my stripes don't line up perfectly. No matter- no one notices except for you- my fellow perfectionist sewists.
You all have probably sewn up the Renfrew several times over but, if you're tardy for the party like me, I'll tell you this sews up like a dream! I spent less than two hours sewing it up on a conventional machine. If you have a serger, I'm sure the time is cut in half. I love the neck, arm, and hem binding instead of the fold over hemming. It looks so much cleaner and gives it a really nice style. The v-neck is one of my favorite necklines. It is very flattering and was easy to sew.
It fit like a dream. Now, if I went by my measurements I would be a 14 in the bust, 12 in the waist, and a 10 in the hips. I went with a straight 12 which is what I usually am in RTW and this was just fine. The only adjustment I made was to shorten the length by about 1 inch. Next time I might add a teeny smidge to the arm binding. It's a bit snug but not uncomfortably so. If you have plump upper arms like yours truly, then you might want to add a bit to the arm binding.
Overall, I love my new striped tee. I know I will be sewing up several more of these... this is such a great pattern for some good basic tees!
Next up is the Colette Clover. Again, you all have probably made several pairs for yourself already. This is another really nice pattern for a great basic pair of pants. They're actually a little more sexy than I usually go! My hubby called them "booty-licious"! These ankle pants were also inspired by my Spring/Summer 2012 project. In the photo, they are pictured in yellow. I first made them in red, and I already have a goldish/yellowish/greenish fabric to make another pair. I searched and searched the fabric lands over for the perfect stretch twill in red. I found this fabric on Harts Fabric. I spent about $22 for the fabric.
I made a muslin first. Now in all honesty, I don't usually do muslins. The first one was supposed to be a true pair of pants but because of the fit issues, I called it a muslin and moved on. I made a 12, based off of my measurements. I ended up needing a bit more room in the waist so added a quarter of an inch to the side seams. I shortened the length by about one inch. My red clovers ended up fitting perfectly!
This pant is very easy to sew and the instructions are geared toward the beginner seamstress which is great for someone wanting to try something new. One issue I had was that once I got them all sewn up and tried them on, my invisible zipper split beyond repair. Now these are a form fitting pant but I certainly wasn't busting out of them by any means. So I ripped the invisible zipper out and did a regular lapped zipper instead. Next time, I want to try to alter the pattern to do a front fly, with the assistance of tutorials provided by Sallieoh.