It always surprises me what people take a liking to. This striped dress was probably my easiest make and the most complimented.
This maxi dress was worn several times throughout my pregnancy.
These super easy sundresses always fetched me at least one compliment when I wore them.
While most of the year was consumed with maternity appropriate clothes, I managed to squeeze in a few non-maternity makes as well.
Of course there's the most recent Archer. I've already made a second that I need to photograph.
I love the animal print trio I did in January including my Minoru jacket.
I love this black and white heart print blouse and am debating if I need another one.
Not to toot my own horn but I didn't have very many failed garments this year. However, there were a couple that went straight to the Goodwill pile. I didn't even blog about them. I had purchased Megan Nielsen's maternity survival kit which included four patterns. Two of them worked out well- the Ruched Maternity Skirt and the Ruched T-Shirt. However, the Wrapped Maternity Top made me look like a stuffed sausage/mummy. And the Rie Top was not flattering on my body in the least. I'm not blaming the designer- I've seen both designs work out great for other people. They just didn't suit me.
I've been better about this in the last couple of years but I used to sew a lot of crap just to make things. I ended up with a closet full of mediocre things that I would never wear. In fact, I just recently went through a major purge of stuff that I knew I would never wear.
In the spirit of the New Year, here are some of my goals/inspiration:
- I want to sew a French couture jacket (a.k.a. the Chanel knock-off). I've already started collecting books and doing research. I've got my fabric picked out.
- The blog is getting a new look. I am currently collaborating with a website designer and the new look should be debuted within the next week or two.
- I've become a sewcialist! I'm now on Twitter and Instagram. I've been on Facebook but have kept sewing out of it up until recently. I don't have a page dedicated to my blog but I am posting sewing related stuff. I've discovered tons of other blogs to follow from Twitter. The new blog will have all of my social buttons up so that you can follow me more easily. You can find me on Twitter @byrdiecouture.
- I want to continue to be more thoughtful about what I sew, concentrating on things that I will love to wear and that will work well into my wardrobe. This last year I focused more on finishing techniques and I really think this took my garments to the next level.
- Are you fasting? I am. I've taken the RTW fast challenge initiated by Goodbye Valentino.
- On that note, I really need to conquer sewing pants and jeans. I think I will sign up for some online classes to help. I've sewn these items before but they never turn out great.
That's just a few of the ideas I've got stored up. I hope you all have a safe and happy New Year!