Wednesday, November 20, 2019

Vogue 8804 French Jacket

 The French jacket has been my ultimate sewing goal for the last several years. In a fashion sense,  it instantly levels up any outfit whether it be casual, business, or dressy. In the technical sense,  the French jacket forces the maker to slow down and apply advanced techniques and attention to detail. And of course,  lots of hand sewing! I didn't have the nerve to try my own hand at it until I came across Angela Wolf's Contemporary Couture Jacket class on Pattern Review. With this class, she demonstrates how to utilize machine sewing to speed up the process while maintaining the hand sewing in key areas.  When I initially started the jacket, I was keeping a written tally of the time spent. Unfortunately,  I lost the original tally but I estimate 20 hours total.



The pattern is Vogue 8804.  I used a loosely woven green tweed. The lining is a floral silk organza. I cut a 16. I made a muslin to start. As many reviews have stated, this pattern is very boxy. I found that most of the ease was in the back and took out about an inch in the center back. I shortened the body by 1 inch.


As for the construction,  I ignored the pattern instructions and completely followed Angela Wolf's methods. The body and quilting is done by machine, while the lining is hand sewn together. I made bound buttonholes for the first time. There are lots of online tutorials to be found and I dare say they are not any harder than traditional buttonholes.



My motivation ebbed and flowed during this project, and turned into a UFO for years. I started it in 2015 and 2 sizes ago. I started to hate the green color and I definitely hated the trim I originally picked. I could no longer picture the end look, got frustrated and gave up.



I hated to see the project unfinished and eventually turned to the McCall's Facebook group for suggestions on trim. I'm so glad I did. I got lots of great advice and settled on a cream trim which was far better suited for this color. I even sewed in a chain along the hem.



While I don't love the end result, I enjoyed the process, learned new techniques and am inspired to make different versions. As mentioned,  I cut this when I was 2 sizes smaller. With the extra ease, the jacket is wearable but no longer a perfect fit. I'm still not thrilled about the color. I made plenty of mistakes along the way but see them as learning opportunities for my next jacket.

~Jenny 


Friday, August 23, 2019

Closet Case Pietra Pant

When the Rome collection by Closet Case Patterns was released,  I immediately scooped up the PDF bundle of the three new designs.  I love the relaxed,  cool girl vibe of Closet Case and the patterns never disappoint.



My first make from the bundle is the Pietra pants. These pants are high waisted with an elastic back. The front leg is seamed, creating a vertical line.  Of course there are pockets! It comes in different lengths and leg widths. I did the tapered leg with the ankle length. 

I've had the fabric in my stash for ages and couldn't say where I got it. I do know it's a rayon polyester lycra, one of the best fabrics for slacks in my opinion. The instructions were great, they are well illustrated and thorough. The methid of elastic installation was new to me but went smoothly. I took about 3 inches off the length using the shorten lines on the pattern. My measurements put me in a 16, and that worked great. 


The high waisted style is new to me and I may never go back to mid rise styles! The pants stayed right where they needed to, no need to adjust or hike them up during the day. They were perfect for the office and I would like to make another pair in both black and gray. 

~Jenny

Friday, July 26, 2019

Colette Moneta

I am on a roll with Colette and Seamwork patterns. Here is another classi Colette pattern, the Moneta Dress. Just like the Myrtle dress, it was well received by the sewing community. And again, not being one to follow trends, I just made my first version!


I used a chili red cotton spandex knit from girlcharlee.com. I love cotton spandex. It has a nice drape, not too light or too heavy. It rebounds quickly, no saggy knees or booties. I sewed this entirely by my serger, using a 3 thread seam. I used my coverstitch on the neckline, sleeve and bottom hems. 

The neckline is simply folded to the inside and stitched in place. Knits can tend to be a little fiddly so to help stabilize the neckline, I fused 1/4 inch webbing to the neckline before folding over. This worked like a charm and gave a nice, smooth result .

I made this in about 2 hours. I did cheat and leave the pockets off to quicken the process. 

I love this dress! The bodice is just the right length. If it were any shorter this might turn into a maternity or frumpy look. As is, it is more like a ballerina look, which I love! I wore this to my business-casual office the first time. I can definitely see making more. 

~Jenny